Shannon received her Bachelor of Science Degree in Agriculture Economics from Kansas State University in 1993. She attended Creighton University School of Law in Omaha, Nebraska and received her law degree (J.D.) from Creighton in 2000. While in law school, she clerked for Nebraska Legal Services for approximately two years where she gained extensive and valuable legal experience while working toward her law degree.
After graduation Shannon worked as Assistant General Counsel for Rosen Auto Leasing before she relocated to Columbia, Missouri. In Columbia, she took a position with Mid-Missouri Legal Services that services clients in Audrain, Boone, Callaway, Chariton, Cole, Cooper, Howard, Miller, Moniteau, and Osage Counties.
As a staff attorney she represented clients in adoptions, child custody, paternity, dissolution of marriage, domestic violence cases and modifications. She also advised clients on bankruptcy, consumer, education, employment, health, housing and public benefit issues.
Since opening her own office in August 2009, Shannon has practiced in the Kansas City Metropolitan area exclusive in the family law area. Shannon’s mediation training and experience allows her to use the additional tools to help the cases she is involved proceed more quickly and amicably. Shannon can provide you with trusted and no-nonsense legal counsel.
In June 2018, Shannon teamed up with Leslie and Sandy to start Lawson Norris Sorensen LLC, to establish an all inclusive family law firm.
Areas of Practice
- Child Custody
- Guardian Ad Litem
- Child Support
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Mediator, Kansas
- Certified Guardian Ad Litem, Missouri
- NITA/ABA Family Law Advocacy Institute Program and Collaborative Divorce Practice, Basic Skills Training
- Nebraska, 2000
- Kansas, 2009
- Missouri, 2002
- Creighton University School of Law, Omaha, Nebraska
- J.D. - 2000
- Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas
- B.S., Bachelor of Science - 1997
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Member, 2009 to Present
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Member, 2012 to Present
- Association of Missouri Mediators, Member, 2012
- Heartland Mediators, Member, 2012 to Present
- American Bar Association, Member
- Johnson County, KS Bar Association, Member
- Johnson County, KS Inns of Court, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Volunteer Attorney Project Attorney
- Military Matters
- Delta Delta Delta
- Phi Delta Phi